Thursday, February 25, 2010

9-9-9 Challenge...what's next?

Ok...so I didn't complete my 9-9-9 challenge...I hope you can understand why.  Although I did read a bood that was almost 600 pages...and I read it TWO times...so that should account for something.  So I should have completed 84 books...I was 6 short.  So I have been challenged again.  I have so many books on my list and I love to read...so I am merging my 9-9-9 challenge to 2010...I am not sure I am brave enough to choose 10 categories with 10 books each...that is 100 books.  Since I missed the mark on the 84...I am not sure I am quite up to the challenge of 100.

So...I am going to go along with something else that changed my life in 2009.  Most of you know that I walked in the breast cancer 60 mile walk (which I am doing again so let me know if you want to help get me there)...so I have decided to set my goal for 60 books...I think I can handle that and I may even go over that 60...but I am going to chose 10 categories and pick 6 books for each category.  One category will be a little different...so PAY ATTENTION...it is going to be titled 'recommeded by YOU'...so I need some responses.  Post a comment and tell me what book you think I should add to my reading list...OK!!!
By the way..H...you don't count since you send me all your books anyway...I need others to respond.  So let me know.

Also...I did at least want you to know what I did accomplish so I am listing the books I did complete and the ones I did not get to will probably end up on my list for 2010.  Look for the changes on my side bar so that you can see my new list of books...I have already completed several books that were not on my 2009 list.  So I guess I better get started reading...

Remember the ones in blue were the books read in my 2009 challenge:

Classics

King Lear - Shakespeare
A tale of two cities – Charles Dickens
The Island of Doctor Moreau – HG Wells
Tom Jones – Henry Fielding
Hamlet - Shakespeare
The Castle of Otranto: A gothic story – Horace Walpole
Cecilia, or memoirs of an Heiress – Frances Burney
Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
The woman in white – Wilkie Collins

Science and History
Biology of Invertebrates - Jan Pechenik
Parasite Rex - Carl Zimmer
A Sand County Almanac – Aldo Leopold
Sensory Exotica – Howard C. Hughes
Tyrannosaurus Sue - Steve Fiffer
The Essential Aldo Leopold – Curt D. Meine
Auschwitz a new history – Laurence Rees
The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn – Eric Ives
The Devil in Massachusetts - Marion Starkey
Biography
Sea Biscuit
Karla Faye Tucker
Broken into beautiful - Gwen Smith
The Diary of Virginia Woolf Volumes 1-5
Marlee Matlin ‘I’ll Scream Later’
Edgar Allen Poe, His life and legacy – Jeffrey Meyers
It's always something - Gilda Radner
The Unabridged journals of Sylvia Plath
Called out of Darkness: A spiritual Confession – Anne Rice
Books I have wanted to read
The Importance of being Earnest – Oscar Wilde
The Stolen Child – Keith Donohue
Jungle book – Rudyard Kipling
The man in the Iron Mask – Alexandre Dumas
The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
Sybil – Flora Rheta Schreiber
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall – Anne Bronte (oxford classic)
Better than Good – Zig Zeigler
The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

Books I LOVE to re-read
Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen (I love ALL her books)
Harry Potter Series (audiobooks)
Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
Northanger Abbey – Jane Austen
Dracula – Bram Stroker
Interview with the Vampire – Anne Rice
Chronicles of Narnia – CS Lewis
Lord of the Rings Trilogy – JR Tolkien
A wrinkle in time – Madeleine L’Engle


Recommended for me
Acts (life lessons) – Max Lucado
The Shack – William P. Young
Dead until Dark
Living Dead in Dallas
Club Dead
Dead to the world
Dead as a Doornail
Courageous Leadership – Bill Hybels
Texas Garden Almanac – Doug Welsh’s


Fiction
The Historian – Elizabeth Kostova
Inkheart– Cornelia Funke
Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Serena – Ron Rash
Skin – Ted Dekker
Emma - Jane Austen

Books to read with the girls
Princess Bride – William Goldman
Matilda – Roald Dahl
Jude Blume (Fudge-a-mania, Sheila the great, Tales of a 4th grade nothing, Superfudge)
The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs – Judi Barrett
The Mouse and the motorcycle – Beverly Cleary
Pippi Longstocking – Astrid Lindgren
Freckle Juice – Judy Blume
Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain


Saw the Movie…want to read the book
The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas (actually a re-read that I love)
Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson
Vanity Fair – William Makepeace
A Beautiful Mind – Sylvia Nasar
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
The other Boleyn girl – Philippa Gregory
Anna Karenina – Helen Edmundson
A streetcar named desire – Tennesse Williams
The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas

1 comment:

  1. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.
    I would recommend this to everyone!! I am NOT a reader, but this is the first book that I cannot put down. Absolutely Amazing!!
    --Kelly A.

    ReplyDelete