Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Month by Month

Hello all...when I started this adventure I did not intend it to be a once a month post that would be too long to read because our life is so crazy. But I guess the past couple of posts have become a once a month ordeal. So I guess I will get you all up to speed on how life is going around here.


Summer has officially started...and yes...we are still busy as ever. We have been to the pool, the water park, to the movies, to see a show, to visit family, to the river, and yes still working in the garden. Big girl has started soccer camp...sweet girl wants to join but she is not quite old enough...and my little man has turned our house into a 'roly-poly' rescue center.

I have to explain...you may not call them that...they are pill bugs...but you may have played with them when you were a child. You know, the bugs that have furry little legs, about the size of a capsule, and they roll into a ball when you pick them up. It started one day with a shovel and a pail, turned into a jar with a lid, and has now become a permanent 'pet' in the house. Well, I guess I should say PEST...I don't really think that they will do much harm in the house, but as I swept the floor yesterday I counted how many little critters were in the piles of dirt. So I asked little man...are you bringing these critters in? and here was his innocent reply:
"I not doing it mommy, they must just like the house. It's hot outside and they need a drink of water, so they come to my bathroom". Now seriously...would you scold him? Of course not...I just said we should try to keep them outside with their families. After thinking about that statement I am scared to think of how many I will find since he would not want to leave the families outside.

So we are off to a great start for the summer in the garden...we have battled squash bugs, cucumber beetles, peach borers, squash borers, and the lack of rain. We have replanted the squash plants and hope that the borers will not be back. We have yummy tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, potatoes, and loads of blackberries. We are waiting for our cantaloupe and watermelon. We have made several batches of dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, sweet pickles, salsa, and jam...and have even given away some of the fruits of our labor. We just need some rain.

We visited the river several weeks ago...so enjoy the shots. Yes...my little man has a 'best buddy' that he just absolutely loves! We do not see them often enough.


1 comment:

  1. Ummmmm...I had BETTER get some of those bread and butter pickles this time around! Dad's going to teach me tomato canning tomorrow. And I have plenty of plum jelly to share. I also made plum butter (like apple butter)...it's GOOD!

    ReplyDelete