Ok...the babies are finally here. Many of you know that we raised praying mantids in Big Girls classroom...and they were born Friday. Well...they hatched Friday...but we were all so excited. We had about 250...they were EVERYWHERE. For those of you that have not done this with your kiddos...you should. Especially if you have a garden...they are great for pests.
So, I have to tell you how the day and weekend went. First, we had to go to Waco to buy food for the babies. We looked all morning outside, but it was too chilly and we could not find any small insects. I know many of you are laughing right now at the fact I drove over an hour just to get food for insects...but I really did it for the kids. We didn't want to leave the babies at school...so Big Girl brought them home. We also had 50 very small crickets (which I immediately placed on a high shelf). Daddy wondered why we had them inside...but he dealt with it.
On Saturday we did a little shopping, bought a few more plants for the garden, and worked in the yard all day. When it was time to come in the girls wanted to check on the mantids...so we did and they are growing. I thought it might be a good time to feed them...so we went to get the crickets.
Do you see where this is going? I looked on the shelf...but no crickets. I asked sweet girl (I am contemplating a name change) where they were and she said that Little Man had them. WHAT??? Mommy going crazy at this moment. Well, we found the cage...and yes...we saw crickets...TWO. Where are the others you ask? Well, Little man wanted to play with them so he let them out...that was what Big Girl said. So...we have about 40-45 baby crickets in the house...so far I have found 2. Anyone want to come hang out at the house?
I just had to tell you about that...I will keep you posted.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


OHHHH...I SOOO want to do this with Caleb. Last year his Auntie (M) gave him a praying mantis on his birthday. We put him in a big bug home and kept him, fed him... for 2 months almost! We loved it!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if it's too late in the season to still do this?
I'm glad you did it. :0)
Also...can I come over and bring our fire belly toad? He eats crickets and I haven't gone to the pet store to get any in WEEKS!
(by the way, they do NOT live long in captivity. I bought the "cricket keeper", cricket food, etc...they last MAYBE 5 days.)
:0)
~robin
Oh, no!! The chirping would send me off the deep end!! Yikesers! I hope you find them soon. I didn't think I could do something with that many praying mantids, but... the garden... hmmmmmm
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I have a lizard and he eats crickets. I'm most careful putting them in her cage. The sound drives me nuts. Thankfully I found a place that sells crickets with the wings cut already. Good luck finding them.
ReplyDelete