Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 1

We were preparing to leave the hotel on Friday morning and you can't imagine how many pink shirts were around. Yes, we were sporting ours as well. But I can tell you after that weekend, I will never look at the color pink the same again. It has a meaning behind it now and one that I could never forget.

So we arrived at opening ceremony ready to walk, especially after the inspiring talk and watching survivors and others hold flags for who they were walking for. And finally...it was time to walk. So we were on our way and just after we started we saw the 'encouraging' sign that read '59 & 1/2 miles to go'. Wow...what was I doing? Could I really accomplish that? Oh well...I was there and I was not going to quit. What a great day...they even had a Harry Potter pit stop with 'moaning Myrtle' helping at the port-a-potties.

We had a great day...joked along the way...ate good food...and saw a ton of other walkers and 'cheerleaders'. I say cheerleaders because I just don't think the walk would have been the same without them. I mean...it would have been much easier to quit if no one was around.

A few things we saw along the way:
Husbands with pictures of their wives...both still in the fight and ones that had lost the battle.
Women going through therapy and having to take a wheelchair along the walk.
The man on the street that dyed his hair and his dog pink to support the walkers.
A sign with 2 holes cut out so the men could stick their head through what read...these boobs thank you.

When we arrived at camp the sea of pink tents sent a chill down my spine...I really was here for a reason...along with almost 3000 others walking for one cause...unexplainable.

1 comment: