Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Grace in the kitchen!

Ok...picture this...on Tuesday (even though we had a friend over) my kids were fast asleep. They all ate lunch and had no problems falling asleep. WOW...time for mommy! Well, I guess you could call it mommy time...but it was really cleaning time. I missed my home blessing (FlyLady) on Monday because we had to go to the doctor. So as soon as they were asleep, I headed to the kitchen. I worked very hard cleaning counters, wiping the doors down, washing all the dishes, detailed sweeping, and mopping. I know that is not all included in my home blessing...but the kitchen really needed it. I knew it would only take me about an hour or so. I worked fast and I finished in time to work on the living room as well. I got it swept and mopped just in time before the kids woke up.

So we were all up, having a snack (in my CLEAN kitchen) and getting ready to go outside (so they would not get my kitchen dirty. Once the kids were all sitting, I went to change the laundry (5 minutes gone). As I was folding clothes I heard Baby Boy say 'See' several times. I then heard a few loud noises...so I went to check on them...really, I was only gone about 5 minutes. I was not ready for the sight I was about to see...but thank goodness I am used to that 'amuzing grace' I have discussed several times.

So here goes...I am walking in to my CLEAN kitchen...Baby Boy has opened the dishwasher...he is standing on the door, and he is 'getting the dishes out'...or in other words...he is throwing clean cups and lids back in the sink and on the floor. Of course my first reaction was to get mad...how could he...I worked so hard. So I said...'do you want a spanking?'...and those of you that know him well can guess the answer...YEP! And he then looked at me with a big smile...he was beaming...and he said 'See' at the same time he took a cup and tossed it in the sink. He was so proud that he was doing the dishes...so how can you be upset about that. I did make him get down, closed the door, and said a very stern 'No, no', then turned my head so I could smile.

Thank you God for giving me that grace so I am able to look at a somewhat disruptive moment and see that Baby Boy was so proud of himself...instead of getting upset with him and the situation. Yes, I had to wash dishes again...yes, I had to clean the floor a bit more...yes, they had crackers all over the floor (I guess they all joined in the tossing game)...and yes, they were having fun. My Sweet Girl (after asking her why she didn't stop him) said...'he was trying to help you do the dishes mommy'. It is so neat to see the kids grow and learn new tricks...I just hope he will learn a more useful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment