Monday, November 24, 2008

Who's Learning Me or my kids?

It is amazing to me how much Baby Boy has started talking...I will soon need a new nickname for him...anyway, I just have to tell you this. I had a meeting so a good friend offered to let Baby Boy stay at her house and while he was there he learned a new word. Now, she told me what the word was, but he never would say it for me. Until we left her house, all the kids were in the car, and all the sudden BB started yelling 'bow-howe'...yep, he learned the word blow-hole (Thanks to Deigo).

He was quite funny in the car...he has learned several others (sweet tea, coke, cookie, please, color), and it is so funny to hear Sweet Girl trying to teach him. She is also learning sounds and things...and she will tell him 'say B-B-B monkey'. She is listening to Big Girl sound things out...and although she is getting the sounds a little confused...she is trying.

I was also able to volunteer in BG's classroom today and I helped test for reading. I learned very quickly that BG is doing much better than many of the other students in her class. No, she is not the top student, but she is not on the bottom either. She does struggle a bit with her reading...but she is learning fast.

BG made a turkey place mat for school, and I was looking at the picture today. It had a nice turkey, very colorful, and a person. The person looked odd to me because it had an extra arm...so I asked her who it was and could she explain it to me. She said 'mommy, that is daddy and he is shooting the turkey'. I told her that was great, but daddy did not shoot turkeys. She said 'well, he needs to shoot one so that we can eat on Thanksgiving.

SG has decided what she wants for her birthday...I don't even know if I can find it...but she reminds me everyday that she wants the American Doll named Kitt Kitredge and the movie that goes with it. I guess I will need to start shopping.

So, you can see that there is never a dull moment around here...with all the new words, new findings, new ideas, and new studies...we stay really busy. You just never know what one of the kids is going to say or ask for. I just love that innocence of being able to be so open with mommy and daddy. I remember when SG was little she would ask questions like...mommy, can you reach the moon for me...(doesn't that melt your heart)...they are still like that, just in a different way.

They are still in the stage where mommy and daddy are the greatest and could (and would) do anything for them. They are TOTALLY dependant on us...I often wonder why we can't be that dependant on our Heavenly Father. That is what he wants...for us to come to him with anything and just talk. He wants us to look to Him for everything and know that he will take care of us (in His time). When I hear my kids asking things that are impossible, or just can't happen (like the moon), I hate to tell them no. I never want to disappoint them, but as you know...we do have to be the parent. I look at my kids and see that trust and love. I see that they have no worries, that they just want to play and talk, and that they will tell me anything if I ask.

Wow, don't we learn so much from our kids! I think I learn something everyday by watching and being involved with my kids. I want to have that trust and openness with my Father...I guess I didn't realize how much I am learning. I can't wait until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, there is an actual American Doll store and catalog...here is the link:
    http://www.americangirl.com/shop (for some reason, we started getting a catalog last month?? And it comes in T's name...a bit funny!)
    I'm going to see Twilight tonight...I'll hold an open seat for ya and pretend you're there w/me :) Love you, you bow-howe...

    ReplyDelete